Pages

Friday 24 October 2014

First Year Of Uni

Second year to all potential first years out there. I realise this is probably a bad time to post this since most people are either not thinking about uni yet, or are already well into their first term.
However, I'm forgetting that logic for now!

As a second year, you do have more work, greater commitments to societies and still the same desire to go and try all the things you didn't get round to in the first year.
For me this has resulted in feeling like I'm missing out on some things that I'd love to be doing, and also getting stressed about not having enough time for my studying because of commitments to the sports and societies I am involved with.

So my main piece of advice to first years is this...


1) TRY ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU MIGHT POSSIBLY ENJOY!
I spent so much time on short film shoots, went to all the sports training sessions, auditioned for plays, represented the university competitively, wrote and acted radio shows, baked, explored town and basically used my spare time to throw myself into everything. More than once my family reminded me I was here to study!  I hear so many first years say they spent their days sleeping, watching films or recovering from hangovers, and although there is nothing wrong with that, I find it slightly sad that people don't take advantage of all the amazing experiences uni can offer - I mean when else are you going to be able to write and perform your own radio show?

2) Don't forget the work!
Although first year doesn't count towards your degree, it does count if you decide you want to have a study abroad year. Perhaps this is something you might decide you'd like to do late second year, and if you've fluffed up your first year grades, those dreams quickly disappear down the drain so don't be caught out! And secondly, and I think more importantly, coming out of your first year with a really good grade makes you feel great cause it is an awesome achievement! You can enter second year confident of what you can achieve!

So that might seem obvious advice, but I suppose the main message is to live your life to the full and seize all those opportunities that might come your way! Life is for living, so don't let it float on by, and equally don't let it drag you down. Looking at the bigger picture whatever you do with your time at uni will be what is right for you, in your life at that time.

P.S. If you do find first year away at uni hard, don't be scared because you are not alone. Exeter University where I am has an excellent student healthcare centre, anonymous support lines and advice centres, and I'm sure other University's have similar facilities that can help you study and enjoy life as you'd like to. 




No comments:

Post a Comment