Pages

Thursday 11 September 2014

Liver in training

So for lots of people out there, University is the first time they have real independence and control of their own stock of money. The combination of the two can lead to things getting a little bit wild...

Parties, clubs and drinking seem to be the ball game here. However, for as many people as that sounds like tremendous fun, I'm supposing there is a similar number who are thinking that's not really there cup of tea.

I fall into the latter category. And, just to get it out there, you can survive freshers week just fine without going out clubbing or even drinking at all. As I mentioned in a previous post, I went to lots of events planned by societies that were orientated around non-alcholic past times, such as the student radio "have a go at making a news bulletin" and I attended several fitness sessions run by body soc which were very popular and very fun.

I also went to most of the events in freshers by myself - there is no law against doing things on your own! Sure it might be nicer to go with a friend, but you can make friends and new contacts during the event. I suggested going to some things as a flat, and we had a successful evening at the 'Disney society quiz' in the local pub which was lots of fun and good bonding.

I think in total I had 2 alcoholic drinks during freshers, and maybe I was lucky in that I ended up with flatmate who also wasn't really into drinking (indeed none of my flat were hugely into the clubbing scene), but it was mainly that I decided to throw myself out there and participate in the hundreds of activities that didn't revolve around drinking.

Even after freshers week, I played ring of fire and just drank water the whole evening. Nobody cares, and if they do maybe don't hang out with them again. Peer pressure can be very powerful, so choose the peers that won't pressure you into situations where you feel uncomfortable.


No comments:

Post a Comment