Pages

Wednesday 24 September 2014

Student eating

So if you're anything like me, feeding yourself rather than relying on your mum to have something ready for you, is something that uses up a lot of energy.

I remember as a fresher I was starving all the time for the first couple of weeks as I adjusted to my new way of life.  I nailed one meal, egg fried rice and veg; boy nothing had ever tasted so good, and I ate huge portions.

Now I'm not going in from scratch second time round, I kinda remember what meals I made last year. But this year for 3 days of the week I'm out through lunch and dinner, the new challenge is making healthy pack-meals.

And although last year I was eating fairly healthily with a fridge filled with lots of veg, none of my food tasted that good. It was mostly cooked veg in a tomato sauce. This year I'm looking to improve my seasoning abilities. I've just been looking through my copy of "River Cottage Veg everyday" the only cookbook I own, but so many of the meals need fancy (and expensive when added up) herbs or spices that if I purchased I'd probably not use again.

So I thought I'd compile a list of cheap seasoning items that help add spice to student cooking!

Firstly, herb du provence - several herbs already mixed up for you to create this yummy flavour. Perfect for seasoning tomato sauces or any kinda sauce really.

Salt and Pepper - pretty standard, but I didn't bother with these first year: note to self, they do make a difference if you want to up your pazazz.

Mayonnaise - bit of a random one, but throw in a tad of this to a salad and it can make it twice as good. Plus be healthy by making egg or tuna mayo pitta bread/sandwiches or a coleslaw. For todays lunch I mixed the two up and had a coleslaw and egg mayo pitta bread! YUM!

Pesto - the student saviour! (only if you like pesto though of course!) Pesto can make almost the worse meal taste good. It goes with a hell of a lot of vegetables, pasta and rice. I always make sure I have some of this in stock, my favourite is tomato.

That's all I've got so far, but I'll add to this as I go forth on my venture!

No comments:

Post a Comment